News Flash from Cairns & Hinterland Health Service District, Queensland Health…
- Since Mid January, a new referral Triage form has replaced the standard letter received to notify assigned category. The new form aims to improve communication and provides feedback/optional further information. It will be a trial and constructive feedback will be appreciated.
- A third Full Time Staff Specialist, Dr Avind Puri, who has commenced mid January for 6 months at this stage. He will primarily concentrate on decreasing the Long Wait surgery list for those already booked. He specialises in Foot and Ankle and Arthroplasty. The department hopes to commence a video conference service for remote/rural hospital, to prevent fracture type injuries travelling to Cairns.
- Dr Muscio will be taking leave for three months from March to work in Africa. We wish him well. Dr Luke McDermott will replace him during this time.
- An update on current outpatient waiting times:
- - CAT 1 – 1 month
- - CAT 2 – 17 months
- - CAT 3 – 28 months.
Contact person: Cameron Stewart – 42266957
GPs can make referral to Physiotherapy at CBH by choosing “Allied Health” in the drop down box on the QH e referral form.
Clinical Attachment Register
A Clinical Attachment Register for CBH specialists has been compiled. GPs will then have the information to access specialist clinics should they choose Clinical Attachment as an option for their CME. Watch the space for more information in the near future.
QH Pathology Service
You can obtain electronic patient result by contacting GP Connect via a 1300 number. GP Connect is a FREE service provided by QH Pathology Service.
All you have to do is to register your practice online –
www.health.qld.gov.au/qhcss/gpconnect. asp. Either the GP or practice staff can phone up for the results.
CT service has been introduced at Atherton Hospital. Referral kits have been sent to GP practices.
Specialists/Doctors names for CBH
You can find the above in the CBH Referral Guide
GP Survey result on Orthopaedic service is now available
If you are interested, the above can be accessed via the direct link: www.health.qld.gov.au/cairns_hinterland/d ocs/cbh_ortho_gp_survey.pdf
Obstetrics Service at CBH
Due to staff illness the obstetric medicine service has been reduced to a minimal one. This is likely to affect gynaecology clinic waiting times. Active backfill recruitment is underway.
Dr Paul Howat (Obstetrics) and Dr Anna McLean (Diabetes) recommend that all pregnant women are screened for Gestational Diabetes with a 75g GTT at 26-28 weeks. ADIPS (Australasian Diabetes in Pregnancy Society) are likely to recommend routine GTT screening later this year, in conjunction with revised diagnostic criteria for Gestational Diabetes. It would be good that everyone gets in the habit of ordering universal 75g GTT screening from now on, in anticipation of the new guidelines. Further advice about the changed diagnostic criteria will be provided when ADIPS makes their recommendation.
Cairns North Community Health Facility
Many Queensland Health services in Cairns have now been relocated to Cairns North Community Health Facility at 381 Sheridan Street, North Cairns. These services include:
- Aged Care Assessment Team
- Cardiac Rehabilitation (*low risk clients only)
- Child Development Service
- Chronic Disease Services
- Community & Primary Prevention Services Management Team
- Community Rehabilitation Services
- Home and Community Care
- Medical Aids Subsidy Scheme
- Memory Clinic
- Midwifery Outpatient Service (Outreach Service from CBH)
- Nutrition and Healthy Lifestyles
- Rheumatic Heart Disease Prevention program
- Safe Kids (Outreach Service from CBH)
- Westcourt Community Health
The contact telephone numbers for these services remain unchanged.
Child Development Unit would prefer GPs, where possible, to use their referral form. The referral form can be accessed via www.health.qld.gov.au/cairns_hinterland/html/cdu_cairns_refer.asp
Last Words from Kain Donily
Hi all, this is my first newsletter to GPs. Any improvement ideas or information you would like to receive via this newsletter please let me know. My contact detail is at the top of page one. Thank you.